For a typical home or small business owner, replacing a heating or cooling system is an infrequent event. Learning about the latest technology and getting quotes from multiple installers can be very time consuming and confusing. A volunteer coach can help a homeowner get informed and become more confident that they’re choosing the installer and equipment that best meets their needs and budget, and reduces their carbon footprint.
Serving as a volunteer coach has multiple benefits
- A great way to meet and help others in your community
- Each home is unique — you’ll learn as you go about the challenges and solutions to electrifying heating
- Personal gratification when clients have systems a heat pump installed. You’ll know you’re doing making a measurable contribution to reducing carbon emissions.
We have developed a comprehensive Coaching Model to bring new coaches up to speed and establish standard practices that assure a quality experience for coaching clients. You don’t need to be an expert. Coaching can be done at different levels, from basic to advanced. At the basic level, coaches explain the motivation for converting to heat pumps and the types of systems available, how to get an energy audits and how to identify suitable installers. At the advanced level, coaches may analyze past energy use to assess a home’s efficiency and heating requirements and help the homeowner evaluate proposals. Volunteer coaching can be done at a pace and time commitment that suits your schedule, from an occasional effort to a full-time retirement gig.
Ready to Get Started?
- Join the HeatSmart Alliance. This is simple and free of charge. Joining the Alliance connects you our larger group of volunteer coaches and experts.
- Follow our self-guided training curriculum. If you have relevant experience, this will be quick.
- Draft a personal Coaching Statement and complete a Coach Self Assessment (coming soon). Submit these via our Coach Application Form (coming soon). Our Coaching Panel will review the information and assign a mentor.
That’s it! Our Coaching Panel will review the information you submit and assign a mentor within two weeks. You will receive a notification that you can represent yourself as a HeatSmart Alliance Volunteer Coach and contact info for your mentor. Your mentor can help you start promoting your services and will be available for consultations as you begin helping clients.