These overarching principles guide our coach’s behavior and actions for the benefit clients, coaches and the HeatSmart Alliance.
HeatSmart Alliance coaches…
- Conduct themselves professionally
Respond in a timely manner; are clear and respectful; set clear expectations on actions they’ll take (and when) and follow through; disengage if a client is disrespectful.
- Avoid conflicts of interest
Follow obligations stated in the Alliance member agreement. Do not accept favors, gifts or payments from clients, installers, or organizations that have the potential for financial gain from the sale or installation of heating/cooling equipment.
- Are transparent about their motivations, affiliations, and interests
Are clear that they’re doing this for the reasons stated in the Alliance’ mission and goals.
- Understand and respect client’s values and priorities
Elicit client’s priorities from discussion and our homeowner questionnaire, and use that information to guide the engagement.
- Enable clients to reach their own decisions–don’t make decisions for them
Their role is to help a client become sufficiently informed that they feel confident about making their own decisions about choosing an installer and equipment options. Coaches can provide information, suggest options, suggest questions for installers, and (optional) help with evaluating quotes, but avoid making decisions for clients.
- Are objective and factual about installers, brands, and equipment
When discussing installers, brands, or equipment, state the basis for their knowledge and avoid strong negative or positive language or guidance.
- Set realistic expectations about comfort, cost and GHG emissions impact
Are clear about uncertainties underlying any projections of cost and/or GHG emissions.
- Know their limits; Strive for continuous learning and improvement
Approach each engagement as a learning opportunity. Are forthright when they don’t know something and seek help from other coaches, the Alliance community, and other resources.
- Take satisfaction from their coaching
Their volunteer time is valuable and provides them with satisfaction for doing something worthwhile.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License